Tips & FAQ
Tips on Storage
- Rent the minimum space required, and be sure to use a high quality lock.
- Never store COMBUSTIBLE items (i.e. gas, solvents, paint thinner etc)
- Plan ahead, keeping your frequently used items at the front of the unit where you can gain access to them easily.
- As you move into your storage unit make a simple drawing that shows where each item is placed. Keep this drawing for future references.
- Label each box with its contents, stacking larger and heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter smaller boxes on top, maintaining a safe height. For easy stacking use the same sized boxes.
- Protect your furniture and clothing with furniture protecting covers and wardrobe boxes. Available at Hess Street Storage.
- Never place sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Fragile items should be wrapped and protected with cardboard and marked FRAGILE.
- Leave a small space between the walls and your items to allow for ventilation.
- Optimize your space by dismantling any furniture that has removable parts. Stack chairs seat to seat with protection in between.
- Store small items, pictures and silverware in the drawers of the furniture. For fridges and freezers prop the door ajar and stack smaller items inside.
- Prop mattresses up right and place any blankets or sheets on top.
- When storing washing machines, remove all hoses and place inside the tub. Tape all electrical cords to the back of the machine.
- When storing any gas-powered machines, drain the gas tank prior to storing.
- Also ensure unit is locked and secure when leaving.
- Do not store anything illegal, highly flammable, perishable, precious or alive in the unit.
What can I store?
As long as it's not illegal, dangerous, highly flammable or perishable or alive, you can store it. Anything you store should be in compliance with our terms and conditions.
How much space will I need?
You can rent the perfect-sized storage space for your needs. Our storage units range from spaces of a locker to as much as several hundred square feet. If your needs change, you can up or down size at short notice so you don't need to ever pay for storage space you do not need.
- Lockers and small units (as little as 16 square feet) are perfect for storing things you'd like to keep safe and secure but have out of the way.
- Large units can hold the entire contents of an apartment or house, perfect for keeping things safe during a move, redecorating or when you are out of the country.
For more specific sizes view our Storage Sizes or contact our team and they will be happy to assist.
How safe are the storage facilities?
All of our self storage facilities are protected and monitors by state of the art security systems. There is perimeter fencing and 24 hour fire and smoke alarms. Well-lit corridors, intercom and telephone contact points are found throughout the facilities. You also have your own lock and key.
What is climate control?
Climate control is a feature that we offer at our facilities. This feature helps protect your stored belongings from the extreme temperatures.
How far in advance can I rent a unit?
You can move in right away or reserve a storage unit up to 30 days in advance.
How long can I rent a storage unit for?
Short and long term storage is available for practically anything. Rental periods can be from as little as 14 days.
Can I store a boat?
Absolutely, we can store boats, recreational vehicles, trailers and cars our other location Self Storage 6 in Millgrove, ON. Check out our website at www.selfstorage6.com or contact by phone 905-689-1665.
Are there any discounts available? How do I pay?
Discounts are available for customers who pre-pay for their storage unit.
Hess Street Storage accepts Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Cash, Phone and Internet payments.
If you have any further inquires contact us and we will be happy to assist!